Representative Service Areas
- Accident Investigation and Reconstruction
- Vehicular Component and System Evaluation
Professional Registrations & Certifications
- Licensed Professional Engineer
- Vehicular Accident Reconstructionist (SAE)
- FAA Licensed Part 107 Drone Pilot
- Bosch© CDR Tool Technician
- Certified Aerial Lift Operator (OSHA)
Bachelor of Science - 2004
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Kip graduated with a Mechanical Engineering Degree from Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville in 2004 and is a registered professional engineer in the States of Missouri, Illinois, and Arkansas. While attending SIUE and upon graduating, Kip worked for a NASCAR Truck Series team for 6 years. Kip spent the next 8 years working for an automotive parts manufacturer, designing, building, programming, and maintaining automated industrial assembly equipment and robotic weld cells for in-house production. Kip was involved in manufacturing and testing of multiple safety critical welded automotive assemblies including steering components.
Since joining Schaefer Engineering in 2016, Kip has offered engineering consulting services in vehicular accident investigation and reconstruction with specialization in commercial vehicles. Kip has focused continuing education in the accident reconstruction field and has performed consulting services regarding automotive and commercial vehicle component failures including brakes and steering systems. In addition to his professional experience, Kip has a background in automotive repair, metal fabrication, and general equipment maintenance. Experience was obtained working for local farmers, working at an auto repair shop in high school, and helping several local race teams.
Prior to obtaining an engineering degree, Kip attended a local technical college and received an Associate of Science Degree and spent four years providing field service work for an industrial control valve manufacturer. Job duties included repairing, calibrating, and testing industrial control valves and related instrumentation on-site in multiple process and power generating facilities.
Kip is a FAA Licensed Part 107 Drone Pilot (FAA Airman Certificate, Remote Pilot, Small Unmanned Aircraft System) and a 3D Laser Scanner operator capable of collecting highly accurate measurements and detail of vehicles and roadways. He is also a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE).
Representative Areas of Expertise
- Vehicle Dynamics and Kinematics
- Crash Mechanics / Speed Analysis
- 3D Data Collection, Reconstruction & Modeling
- Event Data Recorder (EDR) Imaging & Analysis
- Heavy Truck & Commercial Vehicle Evaluations
- Passenger Vehicle, Motorcycle, and Pedestrian
- Failure Analysis (Brakes, Steering, etc.)
- Aerial Drone Documentation
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- National Association of Professional Accident Reconstruction Specialists (NAPARS)
- Illinois Association of Technical Accident Investigators (IATAI)