Randy Bicknese, P.E.
Vice President - Mechanical EngineerRandy@SchaeferEng.com
Fax: 636-332-6445Download VCard
Representative Service Areas
- Fire and Explosion Causation
- Product and System Evaluation
- Component and System Failure Analysis
Professional Registrations & Certifications
- Licensed Professional Engineer
- Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (NAFI-CFEI)
- Asbestos Operations & Maintenance (OSHA)
- Certified Aerial Lift Operator (OSHA)
Bachelor of Science – 1996
University of Missouri – Rolla
Randy graduated with a Mechanical Engineering Degree from the University of Missouri – Rolla in 1996 and is a licensed professional engineer in several states. Upon obtaining his engineering degree, Randy designed, tested and manufactured electrical circuit protection devices and then moved into the development and manufacturing of automotive and aerospace components for 7 years for two St. Louis-based manufacturing companies.
Since joining Schaefer Engineering in 2004, Randy has been involved in carbon monoxide exposure investigations, vehicle and agricultural equipment fire and accident evaluation, product failure analysis, and the determination of fire and explosion causation on commercial and residential gas-fired equipment and vehicular fire losses.
Randy is a Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (CFEI) and is a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), the International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI), the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), and the National Association of Fire Investigators (NAFI).
Other mechanical engineering fields in which Randy has expertise include industrial material handling and manufacturing equipment, electronic and CNC control systems, and automotive and marine restoration and repair. Randy’s background in automotive and marine systems originated from his hands-on training and experience within his family’s heavy truck and marine service businesses.
Randy and Diane Bicknese became owners of Schaefer Engineering, Inc. in February 2017. They are actively involved in project work and client development on a daily basis.
Representative Areas of Expertise
- Fire and Explosion Causation
- Commercial and Residential Gas-Fired Equipment
- Gas Supply & Distribution Systems
- Product and System Failure Analysis
- Large Loss Scene Management & Investigation
- Vehicle & Agricultural Equipment Fire and Accident Evaluation
- Manufacturing Equipment Fires and Failures
- Industrial Material Handling Evaluations
- Motorcycle & UTV Accidents and Component Failures
- Marine Systems and Components
- Carbon Monoxide Exposure Investigations
- Generator Failures and Fires
- Full Scale Modeling, Testing & Data Collection
- HVAC System Evaluations
Publications | Presentations
Randy has performed extensive testing and analysis of fire incidents involving fireplaces, chimney systems and cellulose insulation. He has given a number of presentations on the topic to clients, attorneys, and investigators. Randy also co-authored a published paper on his testing methodologies and analysis. In addition, Randy has also conducted training sessions as a subject matter expert related to natural gas systems and motor vehicles for IAAI CFI Trainer.net.
Bicknese, Randy & Metzger, Todd; Type HT Factory Built Chimneys in Relationship to Cellulose Insulation; International Symposium on Fire Investigation Science and Technology Proceedings; October, 2012.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
- National Association of Fire Investigators (NAFI)
- International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI)
- National Association of Subrogation Professionals (NASP)
- DRI –The Voice of the Defense Bar
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC)