Representative Service Areas
- Product and System Evaluation
- Component and System Failure Analysis
Professional Registrations & Certifications
- Licensed Professional Engineer
- Certified Fire Investigator (IAAI-CFI)
- Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (NAFI-CFEI)
- Certified Fire Investigator (Missouri Division of Fire Safety)
- FAA Licensed Part 107 Drone Pilot
- Asbestos Operations & Maintenance (OSHA)
- Certified Aerial Lift Operator (OSHA)
Bachelor of Science – 2001
University of Missouri – Rolla
Todd graduated with a Mechanical Engineering Degree from the University of Missouri – Rolla in 2001 and is a licensed professional engineer in several states. Upon obtaining his engineering degree, Todd designed and manufactured hydraulic and pneumatic couplings. Todd then moved into engineering consulting with a St. Louis-based design firm specializing in engineering and construction of industrial projects such as metals refining, chemical processing, cement production and consumer products. Todd’s experience includes operation and design of heavy industrial equipment, design of process piping systems, process development, and on-site construction engineering. Other mechanical engineering fields in which Todd has expertise include industrial process equipment, product/machine design, and manufacturing processes.
Since joining Schaefer Engineering, Todd has been involved in product and system failure analysis, and evaluation of commercial and residential gas-fired equipment as well as solid fuel burning appliances for fire causation. In addition, he has played a vital role in applying new technology and innovation to forensic engineering investigations.
Todd is a Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (NAFI-CFEI) and Certified Fire Investigator (IAAI-CFI). He is also a Licensed Private Fire Investigator in the State of Missouri. Todd is a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), the National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE), the International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI), the National Association of Fire Investigators (NAFI) and the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). Additionally, Todd has hands-on training and experience as a firefighter and law enforcement officer.
Todd is also a FAA Licensed Part 107 Drone Pilot having received his Federal Aviation Administration Airman Certificate, Remote Pilot, Small Unmanned Aircraft System.
Representative Areas of Expertise
- Fire and Explosion Causation
- Commercial and Residential Gas-Fired Equipment
- Solid Fuel Burning Appliances
- Vehicle and Agriculture Equipment Failures and Fires
- Product and System Failure Analysis
- Carbon Monoxide Exposure Investigations
- Large Loss Scene Management & Investigation
- 3D Data Collection and Modeling
- Aerial Drone Documentation and Data Collection
- Full Scale Modeling, Testing & Data Collection
Publications | Presentations | Patents
Todd has performed extensive testing and analysis of fire incidents involving fireplaces, chimney systems and cellulose insulation. He has given a number of presentations on the topic to clients, attorneys, and investigators. Todd also co-authored a published paper on his testing methodologies and analysis. In addition, Todd has also presented on the topic of new technology in forensic engineering investigations demonstrating innovative tools and techniques.
Bicknese, Randy & Metzger, Todd; Type HT Factory Built Chimneys in Relationship to Cellulose Insulation; International Symposium on Fire Investigation Science and Technology Proceedings; October, 2012.
Cerrano, Jason & Metzger, Todd; Methods and apparatus for performing emergency extrications;
United States Patent 6,722,176; April 20, 2004.
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE)
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
- NFPA 211: Standard for Chimneys, Fireplaces, and Venting Systems for Heat-Producing Appliances Technical Committee, Principal, 2015 – Present
- NFPA 921: Guide for Fire & Explosion Investigations, 2020 Heating Systems Task Group, 2017
- International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI)
- National Association of Fire Investigators (NAFI)
- International Association of Forensic & Security Metrology (IAFSM)